7.30.2008

Hair How-To: Braid&Out.

So, I must say I love myself a good braid out; it's become one of my fave' styles. I've rifled through a number of ways of doing it and I've found that this way gives me the best results!

Tools:
→ Rat-Tail Comb [for parting]
→ Wide-Toothed Comb [for handling actual strands]
→ Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme
→ Kemi Oyl
→ Satin Scarf/Bonnet
→ Bobby pins/Elastic bands/Hair jewels [optional]

P.S. Moisturizer of your choice can be used but I love the moisture and definition the Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme gives me and at $3.19 it's a pretty good buy. Same goes for the Kemi Oyl.

I. Section hair to your liking. I usually start on the right side of my head above my ear and make a square part about 1" - 2" wide x 1" - 2" tall. Perfect parts are not necessary, but I keep my braids in for a day or two so I try to make them as neat as possible.

II. Apply a small amount of Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme or chosen moisturizer throughout the sectioned hair. Comb it through to fully saturate/coat hair in that section.

III. Seal section with a drop or two of your chosen oil. I use Kemi Oyl because it really provides great softness and shine. I've found a more affordable bottle than that tiny 1. oz for $3.29 in a 10. oz bottle for around $9/10 bucks at a local BSS.

IV. Begin your braid. I start at the very top of the section and cornrow across it and then plait the ends. I braid going in the direction of the tallest section of the part, so the sides its usually down.

V. Repeat steps 1-4 until entire head is finished. I usually do the front left and right and then go to the back of my hair. Doing the perimeter of my hair and working inward works best for me.

VI. From here you can remove the braids within a few hours [once hair's "dried"/"set"] or keep them in for a day or two. If I keep them in, I pin them back so they look sort of ... styled rather than a bunch of short plaits over my head.

Tips:
→ Toss on a colorful elastic band or one that blends with your hair to pull hair out of your face.
→ Pin your hair up in a regal coif to add body to the definition you've gained.
→ Dress up your locs with some kind of hair jewelry.

P.P.S The pinned hair in my photos is slept on / like a day old and I'm a rough sleeper. I had better definition before I slept all crazy. Haha.

PIX:





Same technique different day. Without pinning it up, just put on an elastic headband.



No comments: